Monday, November 5, 2007

Break Me Week?

I guess I just don't understand it. I think it is a good idea. I think it raises awareness for the homeless and all that but I feel like something is missing.

For those who do not know what I am talking about my school does a simulation that puts students in a situation where they are "homeless" for a week. They sign up for it and all they have is cardboard for shelter, whatever food that they can find (and only if someone else offers them food), they can't shower and the only time that they can use a computer is to do homework.

Like I said earlier the people who do this for a week volunteer for it knowing that the end of it is very soon and they know where to find food. The real homeless don't have any idea how long they will be out on the streets, they do not know where to find food, and they have no idea what is in store for them in the future.

I heard someone say that one of the reasons they do this is because of the community that gets built with the people that are out there with them. WHY IN THE WORLD DOES IT TAKE SOMETHING LIKE THIS TO BUILD COMMUNITY WITH THE PEOPLE AROUND YOU?

I know that we should focus on helping others and spreading the Gospel but what happens when we neglect the people closest to us?

Sometimes I feel like we neglect those around us because we feel like they will be around us forever. What will happen when we graduate and move away from each other and get jobs and stuff? Is that going to be the time that we finally reach out to each other because we are not right beside each other anymore?

I guess I am just frustrated because all I have been hearing about lately is how we have to help all of these people when there is so much hurt going on with the people that we live with on this campus..

1 comment:

:::: Travis Keller :::: said...

Whoever said that the purpose is to build community with those with whom one is participating is wrong. Yes, connectivity happens but that is not the purpose. Consider the purpose.